SCLEROTHERAPY DISCHARGE INSTRUCTIONS
- You will be allowed to drive home.
- Keep the dressings or bandages in place, keeping them clean and dry for 24-48 hours. Then wear compression stockings or support stockings on the treated leg
continuously for two days, and for two weeks during the day time.
- It is advisable to walk or use a stationary bicycle for 15 to 20 minutes immediately after the procedure and daily for ten days.
- Avoid heavy exercise, sunbathing, long plane flights, hot baths, or saunas for three days following the treatment.
- What are the most common side effects?
- Itching: Mild itching along the vein route for one to two days because of the vein
- Brown discoloration: 10% of individuals will have a temporary light brown streak. In
rare instances, it may last six months.
- Sloughing: In less than 1%, small blisters may slough, which normally heals and returns to normal color
in 2 to 3 months.
- Allergic reaction: Very rare. Call the doctor immediately. Temporary slight burning or
stinging sensation is normal.
- Pain: Few patients may experience localized pain with some bruising. Usually, at the site of the
injection. The bruising resolves in 7 to 10 days. The vein may be tender or uncomfortable. In most cases it lasts from one to seven days.
- Coagula: The injected vein may become black because of trapped blood or coagulum. These can be removed
painlessly with a needle. These should be removed within one week to prevent staining.
- Phlebitis: Extremely rare, approximately 1 in every 1,000 patients treated for veins greater than 3 to 4
mm. in diameter.
- Matting: Formation of tiny new blood vessels around the treated area. Rare.
- Fuzzy or grey vision: Will go away after twenty minutes.
WHEN TO CALL THE DOCTOR (516) 883-2212
Call the Doctor if you have questions about the treatment you just had, not covered by these discharge
instructions, or if you experience any of the following:
- Persistent pain in the leg or foot.
- Persistent itching.
- Persistent bleeding or oozing.
- Persistent swelling.
- Chest pain.
- Any adverse reaction.